Makes 4 Turnovers
Download Recipe: Infused Caramel Apple Turnover Recipe (PDF)
Nothing says fall in New England like cinnamon-baked apples enrobed in gooey, warm caramel. Holiday prep can be stressful, so treat yourself to a pastry-wrapped packet of coziness while preparing for Thanksgiving festivities. No need to stand over the stove to create this silky pie filling. Just set a Sira Naturals caramel on top of seasoned apples, wrap this fragrant pile in store-bought puff-pastry, and bake. For a golden, crackly crust and glistening finish, brush the top with egg and sprinkle with demerara sugar. This recipe works equally well with our Macrodose and Microdose Caramels, so you can accurately dose to your liking. For an extra boost, you can substitute Sira Naturals’ infused Demerara Sugar to sprinkle over the top of each turnover.
- 1 (9 ½ by 9-inch) sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 Sira Naturals Microdose or Big Dose Caramels, unwrapped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll pastry into 10-inch square on lightly floured surface. Cut pastry into four 5-inch squares. Toss apples with cinnamon and salt to combine. Place 2 tablespoons apple mixture in center of each square and top each with 1 caramel.
- Brush edges of squares with egg, then fold 1 corner of each square diagonally over filling. Using fork, crimp edges of dough to seal. Transfer turnovers to prepared sheet and cut three 1-inch slits across tops. Freeze turnovers until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Brush tops of turnovers with remaining egg and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake until well browned, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Transfer turnovers to wire rack and let cool slightly, about 15 minutes, before enjoying.